September 28, 2007

The Neighborhood Market

Out for a quick run tonight. Really didn’t want to go, so I made it a short one. I also went unplugged, no gadgets.

On my way out of our street, one of my neighbors was washing her Jeep. She probably washes her car once a week. I wash my truck probably twice a year. She had her radio going and I recognized the song but couldn’t place it. A little way down the road I figured it out. Someone had remade a Kelly Clarkson song. I thought it odd that someone has remade a song only a year or two old. Yeah I just admitted that I know a Kelly Clarkson song.

Along my normal route there are several houses for sale. It seems more and more pop up each week, and they haven’t been moving at all. There is also a new development crammed into a lot and a half. As far as I can tell none of those have sold yet either. Another development is going to be built on the back lot of a church up the street. The land has been cleared for a while, but not much progress so far. I assume they are holding off until the market starts moving again.

Our housing market isn’t moving. Fortunately it isn’t crashing at this point, but nothing is really happening. Many houses are overpriced. Their listing agents are not being honest with them.

So many people are out of a job in the lending industry. One of our lender reps said last month that he had 40 accounts a couple months ago. He now has 20. That’s 20 companies that are gone, and who knows how many employees. And our market is better than most others.

Now that money isn’t being handed out to everyone, being an Integrated Agent means I can really help buyers where a normal agent can’t. It is also a buyer’s market for the first time in quite a while. But again, not many people are actively looking. Rates are great, there is a ton of inventory, but people are shying away. I may be looking at some other type of side work until things get moving again. It won’t be the first time I’ve worked two jobs.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it crazy??? We feel ya Man. It's really tough.