August 4, 2007

My First Post

Rather than put pen to paper, here I am. Back when I was about 25 and had all the answers, I wanted to write. Now my mind is filled with questions rather than answers, and things aren’t as clear as they once were. I have been fortunate to take some long bicycle rides in the past couple of years. The first was a two week trip from Seattle to San Francisco in 2006, and I recently returned from a one week trip in and around Glacier National Park. There is no better way to see the country than on a bicycle.
“It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -Ernest Hemingway
I find that my head is clearer when I am away from home and on my bike. At times it seems even my vision is clearer. I’ve had no significant epiphanies while riding, but they often seem like they are just over the next hill. I am seeking that state of mind that I have on my bike (and when I was 25) back here at home. I am also trying to get back in the habit of writing. So join me if you wish as I ramble on and empty some of the clutter out of my head. I promise no answers, only a little insight into my life and thoughts. My friend recently started his own blog, and I’ve enjoyed hearing his “voice” whenever I check in.

No comments: