October 28, 2008

Insomnia

Went to bed around 9:45pm, fell asleep around 1:30am. No real reason I can point to, my brain simply wouldn't shut off.

I tossed and turned for an hour, then got up to read my book for another hour or so. I typically read for about an hour before attempting sleep, and this generally clears my brain sufficiently of the days events so I can drift off shortly after turning out the light. I should have given up much sooner last night as it was clear I wasn't getting anywhere.

It is possible that the book I am reading has something to do with my inability to shut down. As it is dealing with politics and war at a time when our own election is only a week away, thoughts get stirred, tangents inspired.

I should probably start a fictional tale for bedtime reading so I can escape a bit. Of course the next book in the queue is The Grapes of Wrath which deals with the Great Depression. More late night connections may stirred.

No comments: