October 12, 2008

I need a checker up front

Why do places like Home Depot and Lowes have 10 checkout lines when they never open more than three? As a homeowner and former construction worker, I have been to these places often, and at varying times during the day. Weekdays, early mornings are busy as contractors grab the stuff they need to complete today's project. Weekends are the dominion of the homeowner, and it seems pretty busy no matter the time of day. Nevertheless, I don't recall ever seeing more than three lines open.

I stopped into Lowes this afternoon and there were three lines, ten people deep. So I sat there like a schmuck, wanting to just take off because I had to pick the wife up in 15 minutes, but then I'd only be burning the gas and time to come back later. All for a $2.84 purchase.

I just don't get it.

No comments: