March 20, 2008

Spring is here - so is yard work

So I mowed the lawn yesterday for the first time this year. It was pretty tall in places and looking ratty. Where it wasn't growing tall, it is mostly moss. And of course a couple of dandelions have popped up, so the battle continues.

This is the beginning of the fifth season of lawn care at the old homestead. Well really the fourth since the first summer it was mostly dandelions until we put sod in in the fall. Once the new sod was in, we needed a real lawnmower. I decided to be a little environmentally conscious. A single lawnmower emits as much pollution in an hour as 50 cars driving 20 miles. So this is what I bought:

It runs off of a 24 volt rechargeable battery. No oil or gas, no need for a tune up, starts with a flick of a switch, and it is much quieter than a gas mower. I had never seen one in person, or knew anyone with one, so I was relying on what I found online. After three seasons of mowing, I am still happy with my purchase. One charge takes care of both the front and back lawn (about 3,000-3,500 sq ft).

They actually have a more powerful version now. It has a wider cutting blade and power that compares to a gas mower. So if you need to replace your lawnmower, consider a Neuton!

No comments: