October 19, 2007

Friday's Eco-tip

I hate waste!

Materials, time, money - resources of any kind. When I see waste it irritates me. When I look at things, my mind naturally tries to figure out how waste can be eliminated, how it can be done more efficiently. I see all resources as finite and that we have a responsibility to use them wisely. I think that every little bit helps. Every switch turned off, every piece recycled, every bit not used.

I suppose that is the basis for my green thinking. All the day to day things I do are really to reduce waste. As George Carlin says, "The planet is fine. The people are f**ed." The planet will be here long after we're gone. It is really about being responsible stewards, and saving a comfortable living environment.

Anywho, I have made it a habit to keep a travel coffee cup in my car. By using my cup I can avoid using many paper cups (I stop at a lot of coffee shops). As an added bonus, Starbucks takes $.10 off.

Some more cool news on coffee - Tully's has not only gone 100% fair trade organic on their coffee, but they have created a fully compostable paper cup. I guess normal coffee cups have a petroleum based lining to prevent leaking. The Tully's Green Cup uses a bio-plastic, corn based lining - renewable and BPI certified compostable.

So if you forget your travel mug, swing into Tully's for your cup of joe. They even have free wifi!

No comments: