February 27, 2009

Hope and redemption

I recently contacted Verizon because the charges for our FIOS service varied wildly month to month, and we hadn't seen a bill - ever. When we signed up they required a credit card since we didn't have a home phone bill, so various amounts have been coming out of the account. While I was on the phone trying to straighten things out, the guy on the other end mentioned that they had a new special that they could upgrade us to, and it would actually save us a dollar a month.

We now have a HD package, even though we don't have an HD TV set yet. We also have faster internet and a movie channel package for some indeterminate time (I got lost in the details). My wife is out with some friends from her old job tonight so I thought I'd see what was on.

I found Shawshank Redemption playing on Encore. I had missed the first 45 minutes or so, but it is one of my favorite movies so I couldn't pass it up. It is the story of Andy Dufresne, a young and successful banker whose life changes drastically when he is convicted and sentenced to life imprisonment for the murder of his wife and her lover. It is a story of holding on to hope in the darkest of places. Highly recommended if you have never seen it.


"Remember Red, hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."


No comments: