April 28, 2009

Job prep work

I went into the staffing agency yesterday to fill out some paperwork. I will be their employee technically, and working for the bank as a contractor. Lots of tax forms and disclosures. In addition to the paperwork, I had to submit to a drug test and get fingerprinted.

My finger prints are already on file from my current job, but I had never had to do a drug test before. There were a list of clinics to go to, and it was pretty straight forward. Nothing to study for, just fill this cup and you either pass or fail. It sucks that this is a part of a job application, but I have nothing to worry about.

Then it was off to finger printing. The last time I did it, I went to the county office in Everett. I was hoping to avoid the drive, so I called the police department near my office to see if I could do it there. I got their voicemail. Voicemail at the police department? What the...

The message made even less sense. It said something to the effect of "this message is not monitored. Please call back during normal working hours." Then there was a beep. You just said that you don't listen to this, why do you bother to allow me to leave a message?

I drove by the police department and there was a note on the door. It explained that as a part of the city budget cuts, the police office, the courts and city hall would be closed one weekday a month. Today was that day. Not sure why they didn't put that on the voicemail. Hopefully the policemen were still on duty...

Today I went in to get my health card so I can return to the Keg. They hold a 30 minute class that goes over the critical things you can do to ensure you serve healthy food. It is pretty common sense stuff - keep things clean and keep food at the proper temperature. There is the danger zone of 41 to 140 degrees where bacteria can grow. I don't know if anyone else had the Kenny Loggins song playing in their head every time it was mentioned. Just me?

3 comments:

Holly Linden said...

Steer clear of the poppy seed muffins!

amy said...

la la la ...highway to the danger zone.....la la la. Thanks a lot.

tami said...

Love the song, that is hilarious!