February 11, 2011

Time flies

I have been working over at a friend's house this week doing some odd jobs and repairs. I am working by myself, so I have been catching up on the backlog of podcasts. There was a repeat of an episode of This American Life called Contents Unknown. One of the stories was about people who bid on the contents of abandoned storage units based solely on what they can see from the doorway.

There was nothing particularly special about this episode, but I knew exactly where I was the first time I heard it. I was nearing the southwest corner of Washington state on my drive down to California. I can clearly picture the wooded road I was driving on when I heard about these storage unit scavengers for the first time. It continues to baffle me how the mind makes these connections when it fails at so many things (I locked my keys in the car today by the way ).

Then last night just before turning out the lights, I spotted this on my bulletin board:


It reminded me that I arrived in San Diego the day before Valentine's Day last year. It is surprising think that I have been down here for a year now. It doesn't seem like it has been that long, but at the same time the drive down seems like forever ago. At times it feels like I haven't done all that much in a year's time, but I suppose that was part of the plan for the walkabout.

Still comfortable with the decision a year ago - no regrets. It has definitely been a good experience, even if I can't say that I have checked off many to-do items. There have been some wonderful surprises along the way, and I have no idea what the next year will bring, but I feel like I am ready for it.