September 1, 2011

Few animals were harmed in the production of this post

Last month I gave up meat six days out of seven. I did not think it would be overly difficult, but I've never tried before so you never know.

But it turned out to be pretty easy. Breakfasts were no big deal, lunch was PB & J, and dinners were veggies in a rotating variety of sauces. Lots of pasta and rice, and beans and peanut butter for protein.

The only times I really bumped up against anything were the few times I was grabbing lunch on the run. Burgers and sandwiches were basically out, but I found that the veggie burrito at Chipotle was very tasty, and the veggie patty at Subway was also quite good.

I reserved Saturdays as my day with meat to make sure I had enough protein to rebuild the muscles I was tearing down on my long runs. On other days of the week, I didn't notice any real difference in energy or strength levels. As an added bonus, I lost a couple more pounds and shaved off another fat percentage point.

I am not going vegetarian, but going forward there will be less meat on the menu. It is cheaper and better for all the reasons I mentioned at the start of the month. Meatless Mondays (or Tuesdays) will be a snap.

On to September's challenge.

No comments: