August 13, 2007

Space debris

The annual Perseids meteor shower peaked last night. The Perseids is caused by flying dirt that hits Earth's atmosphere at high speed leaving streaks as they burn up, and always peaks in mid-August. Growing up we were often on vacation in eastern Washington around this time. I used to sleep out on the grass and watch the show.

I thought about sleeping out in the backyard last night for old time sake. This year’s display should be extra special because there will be little or no moonlight to wash out the display. Unfortunately, there is too much light pollution in our area. I stood outside for 5 minutes or so letting my eyes adjust, but it didn’t get any darker or clearer. So no walk down memory lane for me last night. It would have been a rude awakening anyway when the pooch came out at the crack of dawn.

No comments: