August 4, 2007

I sometimes wish I was a morning person.


I hate getting up in the morning. Ideally I would get 10 hours of sleep each night, and my day would start around 10:00. This does not work with most of the rest of the world. When I was in construction, I was getting up at 6:00 most every morning, and it didn’t get any easier even after 7 years. It just didn’t match my body’s normal rhythm. This said, when I do get up at the crack of dawn, I enjoy being up that early. Seeing the sunrise, feeling the quiet of the world as it wakes – it is a real treat.

On my recent bike trip to Glacier, we were getting up very early to both beat the heat, and to try be off the roads when the traffic was at its worst. There were a few days where I was getting up at 4:00 am to break camp and get breakfast ready. Once on the road, though, the first few hours on the bike each morning were brilliant.


The problem is that I still couldn’t get to sleep before 11:00. I was sleep deprived from the beginning, and still the zzz’s wouldn’t come any earlier as the short nights piled up. It took me a number of days to catch up on sleep once I made it home. I suppose there are trade offs. I don’t pass out shortly after dinner. I don’t fall asleep in front of the TV. I get lots of reading done before I go to sleep. I just wish I could adjust my sleep schedule when life demands it.

Oh, and I kinda wish I could take naps.

No comments: