October 31, 2009

When unprepared, just fake it.

I have accepted the challenge to run the inaugural Las Vegas Rock n Roll Marathon on December 6th, owing much to my sponsor (s) for making it happen. I am very fortunate to have the support of friends like this. To not only challenge me, setting a goal to get me moving forward, but to lend additional support to make it happen. I don't know where I find these people.

Because there are no days off in December, I will be flying in on Saturday, running 26.2 miles Sunday morning, and flying home Sunday night. Definitely not the right way to recover, but you do what you have to. On the plus side, there won't be any time to gamble away any money I don't have.

My prepwork for this marathon will be a little different as well. Much of my mid-week running in the final weeks will be done in short bursts running packages. It will be a modification of the popular run/walk method, becoming more of a sprint/sit rotation.

I will get some longer runs in each weekend, but I will definitely have fewer miles than normal under my belt by the time I reach the starting line. I will take a tip from Anthony Edwards and make use of my best make-believe skills.

Anthony Edwards returns to tv in NYC Marathon

That and his special use of Accelerade and sit up techniques. Is there a stunt double that I can call on to take my place when it gets difficult?

Hat tip to Half-Fast for the video link.

3 comments:

SeanH said...

Can't wait! I did mention that we're signed up as marathoning Elvis impersonators, didn't I?

Sean said...

Excellent! Perfect excuse not to PR.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now. Keep it up!
And according to this article, I totally agree with your opinion, but only this time! :)