March 21, 2011

Never rains but it pours

I no longer look at the weather report, even though I work outside most days. It just seems kind of pointless down here. There are rarely any big swings in temperature, and the occasional rain is nothing I haven't seen before. I have left the house under-dressed a couple of times, but apparently not often enough to change my behavior.

When I saw a friend post this on Facebook yesterday, I thought, "Really?"
OK, so the weather will be a huge test of character today for all the LA Marathon runners...I'm thinking of you my friends!
Weather in L.A. a test of character? "Wimps", I thought. And for the hundredth time this month, I didn't know what I was talking about.

L.A. Marathon: Thousands evaluated for hypothermia

The weather system reached San Diego at around 9:00pm last night, and it was impressive. High winds pushed the torrential rain sideways, and water cascaded off the gutterless roof like a waterfall. I stood under the cover of the front porch and watched the palm trees get knocked around in the roar of noise. It was cool, but I was glad to not be stuck out in it.

I had a friend who was going to try to qualify for Boston at the L.A. Marathon yesterday. I kept looking for his results online, but it just showed that he started around 7:45am and nothing else. Turns out it was a glitch, and he wasn't there at all. He opted to not run, knowing that the conditions would make it nearly impossible for him to qualify. And he said the decision not to run was, "one of the best decisions I have made in 2011!"

Rough start on the first day of spring.

No comments: