July 19, 2009

Clothes make the man?

"I say, beware of all enterprises that require new clothes" - Henry David Thoreau in Walden

I went clothes shopping yesterday. I was given a gift card and some cash for my birthday a month and a half ago, and they were still there unused. When my family asked what I'd like for my birthday, I said nothing, but that I could use some new clothes for the office. I have an OK amount of dress clothes, but very little in the way of 'business casual' clothing.

I rarely go clothes shopping. I can't remember the last time I went shopping for more than one specific piece of clothing, like a pair of jeans. Most of my nice clothes have been received as gifts from my wife or family. When trying things on, I just don't think things look all that good on me. This isn't false modesty, I just don't have a very good eye for fashion. Colors that I know should look good together, just seem off when I put them on.

I remember something my Dad said years ago. He had been at a work gathering and commented that some men can wear jeans and a t-shirt and look better than other men wearing suits. It isn't the clothes that make a man, but the man that makes the clothes.

Anyway, I ended up enjoying the afternoon, and came home with 5 shirts, a pair of pants and a belt. Having some seed cash made it much easier to start shopping, and I tried to be less self-critical of how things looked. Monday will feel a little like the first day of school showing off the new duds. And I am going to make those clothes work!

1 comment:

SeanH said...

WE WANT PICS! ;)