May 12, 2009

A whole new world

I started my new job on Monday, and after a bit of a false start, things are rolling right along.

Last week I jumped online and mapped out the address of the office. I wanted to avoid driving into Seattle, and it looked like I could take either the bus or the train into work. It turned out to be cheaper and easier to take the bus, and it looked like there was a stop right by the office.

I went in early on Monday to give myself plenty of time and to check out the area. As it turns out, the stairs out of the bus tunnel came out at the door to the building. Or so I thought. Though the building is named after the bank I was going to be working for, it turns out they have additional offices a block and a half away. A few phone calls and a frantic dash, I found the recruiter and the other 11 new hires. Show up a half hour early, and end up being five minutes late.

We spent about 5 hours in a orientation where we learned what we'd be doing and how to do it. As all we had was a job title and no job description, we were really starting at the beginning. After going through class, we took a tour of the floor and found our cubicles. Then we were turned loose to dive in and start working on the files for a couple hours. After the first full day today, I'm already doing better than expected. Kicking ass and taking names.

I hadn't really thought about it, but this job is a whole new experience for me. I haven't ever:
  • Worked for a large company.
  • Worked in downtown Seattle.
  • Been able to take public transportation to my job.
  • Taken a bus through the bus tunnel. Stepping out of the bus it felt like I was in a subway station in D.C.
  • Had a job with one of those security ID cards on a retractable leash.
  • Worked on a computer with two screens.
  • Had a job in a building with more than one floor.
The position itself may not be the most exciting, but I am truly happy to have it. And for now I'm enjoying life in the big city.

4 comments:

matt said...

Nice! You will be running the place in no time!

SeanH said...

Touring the facility and picking up slack!

Unknown said...

You're playing with the Big Boys now! Go Seany!

Holly Linden said...

I hope you're not wearing a short skirt and a looooooong JACKET to work. You da bomb Baby!