July 22, 2008

Checking under the hood.

Went to the doctor today. The basic reason was to get my allergy medicine prescription refilled. Since I was going in anyway, I decided to get my heart checked out. With the marathons and other events I have done, I thought it would be a good idea to make sure everything was OK. They taped a bunch of wires to me, and the EKG came out clear. Quick and painless, except for the hair they ripped off afterward.

I have an appointment next week to do the treadmill stress test. The EKG (from what I understand) shows a snapshot in time, but should indicate if you have had any episodes in the past. The treadmill is supposed to be a bit more predictive. I wear a heart rate monitor when I exercise, so I have seen how my heart reacts to a certain level of stress. I'm not sure how hard they push you during these tests, though. I'll be interested to see the results.

No comments: